Some music videos which are created are thought to be inappropriate to be viewed on television so they are either censored or banned. Here are some examples and the reasoning behind the censorship/ban below.
- Sean Kingston - Beautiful Girls. The word "suicidal" was mentioned, therefore was censored.
- Madonna - Justify My Love. Completely banned from MTV as it had multiple sex or "hot" scenes in it. The main reason was due to one specific scene where a woman's breast was seen with no censorship.
- Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us. MTV changed some lyrics as they were seen as offensive. The lyrics "Jew me" and "Kike me" were changed to "Do me" and "Strike me"in the line. Jew me, Sue me , Kick me, Kike me. Although Jackson argued that his song was made to describe prejudice and that it was poor judgement to select Jewish people as explanatory words.
- N.W.A - Express yourself. The words "I have a dream" were censored.
- Hawthorne Heights - Ohio is for Lovers. the words "Cut my wrists and black my eyes" were censored.
Many music videos have been completely banned from viewing as they have been seen as too explicit for viewing.
"18 and Life" (Skid Row)
"45" (Shinedown, requested by the band itself)
"A Tout Le Monde" (Megadeth)
"Alejandro" (Lady Gaga) (aired on MTV Hits)
"American Life" (Madonna) (replaced with a second version)
"Amsterdam" (Van Halen) (Although the lyrics of drug use was edited out for the video, MTV still refused to show it)
"Agenda Suicide" (The Faint)
"Be Chrool to Your Scuel" (Twisted Sister)
"Body Language" (Queen)(because of its content)
"Closer" (Nine Inch Nails)
"Coma White" (Marilyn Manson)
"Constance" (Mr. J. Medeiros)
"Ghost Ride It" (Mistah F.A.B.)
"Girls, Girls, Girls" (Mötley Crüe) (replaced by a second version)
"Hey, Mister" (Custom)
"Hot in the City" (Billy Idol)
There are many many more which i haven't stated which you can find by clicking here.